You’ve done it

Graduation cap in hand, gown on – you’re officially a graduate. What next?
If you’re uncertain as to a clear route ahead, we can advise you on your career choices and your next step.

Having studied in Canada you now have many paths that you could take. Thanks to your globally recognized degree, you’ve got a bright future ahead. Due to the quality control of Canadian HE education and superior teaching standards, the qualification you have is valued around the world. You’ve also gained invaluable experience as an overseas student – employers will see you as an independent, confident applicant with communication skills that transcend cultures and languages.

Remaining in Canada

After you have successfully completed your studies in Canada, you can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit if you meet the requirements. In a nutshell, in order to apply for a post-graduation work permit, you’ll need to:

  • Be 18 or older
  • Have studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long
  • Have documentation to support your application from your school (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.) which confirms you completed and passed your course requirements
  • Have graduated from a:
      1. Public post-secondary school (e.g. a college, trade/technical school or university, or CEGEP in Quebec) or
      2. Private post-secondary school that operates under the same rules as public schools (this currently applies only to select private post-secondary institutions in Quebec) or
      3. Private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that provides qualifying programs of 900 hours+, leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP) or
      4. Canadian private school that can officially award degrees under provincial law (e.g. Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree), but only if you’re enrolled on a study program that leads onwards to a degree apply for a work permit within 90 days of when it was confirmed that you completed your program and have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

How long a permit you’re granted will depend on how long you’ve spent studying in the country, here’s an overview:

  • Your course was shorter than eight months – you won’t be eligible for a PGWP
  • Your course was longer than eight months but shorter than two years – your PGWP could last as long as your course (e.g. if your course lasted two years, you may be granted a permit for two years).
  • Your course was two years or longer – You may be granted a PGWP for three years

For more information on the Post-graduation work permit, we recommend that you visit
The Immigration and Citizenship website for Canada